Hey hey! This day sure is going fast! I started today with a nice early 7 mile training run with my Garmin Forerunner 10 (a GPS watch that I absolutely love!), and got ready for another day of work.
After doing some research on other blogs and blogging in general, I decided that my Wednesday posts (for now) will be a food related post, (which will feature one of my favorite recipes of the week) referred to as, What I Eat Wednesday. I’ll try it out for a while and see if I get positive feedback. Plus, it will force me to try new recipes, which is a bonus because I love cooking! 🙂
For today’s post I am going to refer back to a recipe that we tried a few weeks ago…Zucchini Pizza! This is a recipe for a zucchini pizza crust (which is gluten free). Normal pizza crust can wreak havoc on my stomach, but I absolutely love the concept of pizza, so I have to get my fix somehow! So after some research I found a delicious recipe for this vegetable based pizza crust.
Recipe for Healthy Zucchini Pizza
- 4 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup of flax (or flour of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
You can really use whatever you want for toppings! 🙂 Below is what we used:
- Carrots (sliced)
- Black Olives (sliced)
- Jalapenos (chopped) –> for an extra kick!
- Avocado (chopped)
- Fresh Cilantro
- Drain the excess water after shredding the zucchini. Mix the zucchini, egg, mozzarella, flax, oregano, salt and pepper, press the mixture onto a baking sheet or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 450°F oven until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add your favorite pizza toppings and bake for another 10 minutes (or until toppings are cooked to your liking).
Recipe Notes from For the Love of Running Kitchen: The part that took the longest was shredding the zucchini, but the overall prep time isn’t too long if the select toppings are chopped up beforehand. Overall, this recipe was a big hit and we look forward to making it again. 🙂
What is your favorite kind of “healthy” pizza? If you tried this recipe, did you like it? (if so, please give this post a thumbs up and share with your facebook friends! 🙂 ) What toppings did you use?
Please comment and share below!