So….if you haven’t guessed yet, I really love running. I mean, the title of my blog is –> For the Love of Running! And, it’s true…I do really like to run! There are so many benefits to running: it keeps me active, it’s a good cardio workout, it challenges me, etc. The list could go on and on. That’s the happy side of it all. But, it can be easy for me to hate running just as much as I love it.
Right now I am training for a marathon and this new challenge has now, more then ever, fed my love/hate relationship with running. So, I decided I would share a few thoughts on this complicated relationship I have with running:
Running…I love you, but I hate you!
- I hate the pain and the constant fatigue (and yet I love it).
- I hate always feeling hungry and feeling like nothing can satisfy my hunger after a long run. (And yet I love feeling like I’ve worked my body hard enough to have a big appetite).
- I hate starting a run and thinking about how many more miles I have to go. (But I also love the feeling of accomplishment at the end of a run).
- I hate setting aside time to run in my schedule. (And yet I am thankful that I have that “me time” to be alone, push myself, and think.
- I hate it when people say I’m crazy. (But deep down I love that people think I’m crazy because I am a disciplined and determined runner).
- I hate having to constantly buy expensive running shoes. (But I love that running gives me an excuse to go shopping).
- I hate always have to eat healthy and watch what I eat. (But I love eating healthy and intentionally fueling my body with good foods).
Ultimately, with every “hate” in running there is a “love.” I choose to run and I choose to love it, or hate it (but mostly love it!). The pros of running definitely outweigh the cons in my book, because every run is a little victory! So get out there and run! Even if you hate it…who knows, you might learn to love it! 🙂
What do you love/hate about running? What makes you want to run?