Happy Friday! And boy it’s a happy Friday…I don’t have work today AND I actually don’t have to go back to the work I was doing (insert happy dance!). I’m starting a new job on Monday and I’m so excited to take on a new challenge! Anyway, that’s what’s new in my non-running life right now. 🙂
Since I had off work today I went for a nice longer 8 mile run this morning. As I was running I was thinking about how much I’ve improved in my running over the past 6 years! Sometimes I don’t feel like I’ve improved that much. But, my husband keeps telling me that I’m KILLING IT! And he’s like an elite runner, so he’s pretty credible. 😉
We ran a 5k last Saturday and I PR’d by over a minute from my last 5k (which was this past summer)!
So without further ado, here are a few things that I that I’ve changed in my running routine that have helped me improve this past year.
5 Ways to Improve Your Running
- Build endurance. Run a long run once a week. I really think that training for and running a marathon is one of the main things that made me stronger and faster. Building endurance is key!
- Speed Work. Adding speed work (track and hill workouts) to my current routine is getting body more comfortable with a fast pace and heavier breathing.
- Incorporate strength training into your routine. I used to be a cardio queen! All I would do was run. I’ve found that I have a lot more energy when I take a break from running and do some yoga or lifting. I’ve also found that I get injured less when I’m not constantly running every single day.
- Eat healthy and drink plenty of water. I’ve always eaten pretty healthy and I’ve never really struggled much with eating healthy. But, I have always struggled with water intake. I find that always having a water bottle in hand forces me to drink more water. And another new thing I’ve started is chugging a water bottle in the morning. If I get one bottle of water in early, I tend to continue to drink water more throughout the day. 🙂
- Buy some new running clothes. Working really hard to improve your running?! Reward yourself by buying something new! This may not be a “thing” for everyone, but for me if I have something new to run in, it gives me way more motivation to run. This is definitely more of a psychological thing, but it can make a big difference!
These may not be for everyone and that’s okay! This is what works for me and I wanted to share since I’ve been seeing such a big improvement in my running lately. Hopefully my running will continue to go well! Have a great Friday!
Question of the Day:
What are you doing to improve your running or fitness?